Monday, June 27, 2011

"Wonderful Thoughts to Live By"

I always enjoy sitting down in the evening, and reading through a few pages from a book that my grandfather used to read. The pages are turning colour, the corners of the pages wrinkled, and many sections are marked with a red pen (using a ruler of course!) and so I know that this book was one he treasured.

Here is a passage from the book:

O God, for another day, for another morning, for another hour, for another minute, for another chance to live and serve thee, I am truly grateful. Do Thou this day free me:

From fear of the future:
From anxiety of the morrow:
From bitterness toward anyone:
From cowardice in face of danger:
From laziness in face of work:
From failure before opportunity:
From weakness when Thy power is at hand.

But fill me with:

Love that knows no barrier:
Courage that cannot be shaken:
Faith strong enough for the darkness:
Strength sufficient for my tasks:
Loyalty to Thy kingdom's goal:
Wisdom to meet life's complexities:
Power to lift men unto Thee:

Be Thou with me for another day and use me as Thou wilt; in Christ's name I pray. Amen.

Author: Mary Lewis


Thank you for the Christian legacy you left for us Papa. I'll always remember, even as a little girl, sitting with you on the sofa, Bible in hand, as you showed me how to underline my favourite passages.

I'm thinking of you today!

No comments: