Friday, June 10, 2011

God hears a Mommy's prayer!

Being a Mom is the BEST job in the entire world...but difficult at times, in that you want to be the best you can be for your child, and do everything right..and that can feel like a huge weight at times.

I've felt the weight of that for the past month or so! And unfortunately, the more books you read, and the more online pages you find, the more discouraging it can get sometimes. I found, the more opinions I read, the more I felt as though I was failing somehow. It just seemed that I could never keep up with every philosophy (whether it be about baby's sleep habits, feeding times, wakeful times, etc!)

Some books would say, "let them cry it out from birth, and they'll get to sleep!" Others would say "no, don't let them cry it out, teach them how to fall asleep!" Some authors would suggest "no swings, no vibrators" (as my baby was vibrating away in her bassinet!) And others would say "let them swing, let them enjoy movement..whatever makes them most content!"

As I'm sure you mother's can attest to..this becomes VERY confusing! As I would read one book, I would feel as though I was on the right track! Then, the following week, I would switch to the next book, and feel completely defeated.

And of course, the other frustrating thing is, every baby is different! So what works, typically, for most babies, may not work for yours. And then, an individual baby can have so many different things going on at one time, that it's hard to make a standard decision on something (for example, letting them cry it out). What if she's crying because she's teething? What if she is in need of a desperate diaper change? What if she has tummy pain? Or what if she just needs to learn how to fall asleep on her own, in which case, a bit of crying is good?

So many things to consider!

But what I've discovered is, (and was also encouraged by a dear friend about), is that God chose ME to be Braeya's Mom because He knew that I would be perfect for the job! He knew just what she needed even before she was born, and He knew that I would be just the one to entrust her to! God has given me EVERYTHING I need - He guides me, He leads me. His still small voice tells me what I need to do!

Relying on this has been the most FREEING thing ever! I don't need to do exactly as every book instructs. I don't need to worry about every opinion out there! I have God. I have His voice. He gave me instincts for a reason. And I follow!

And it's amazing what happens when you release all the stress, and just trust God! For the past few weeks, Braeya was becoming increasingly fussy over going for her naps. She was used to me walking her around the house, bouncing away, until she fell off to sleep. But of course, as she gets bigger, that becomes more difficult to do, physically!

I began to stress over all the things I should be doing (according to all of the many books I'd read!) Sometimes she'd fall asleep on her own during the day, sometimes she wouldn't..but I was beginning to panic a bit on what I should be doing - what would be best for her, so that she could have consistent naps!

Well, a few days ago, I decided to stop the stressing! Stop the worrying! Just trust God, follow my instincts and see what would happen! I have never seen a 20 year old being rocked by their mother to be put to sleep..so I figured Braeya would get the hang of it eventually! And besides, she's been sleeping through the night for weeks now! What more could I ask for!

Anyway, to make a long story "not too long" (lol) it all of a sudden came to us "she LOVES sleeping on her tummy (which I know they say not to do these days)...but she can now roll over onto her back, so we figured, in the day time for naps, it might be just what she needs. She's a snuggle bug after all, and back sleeping during the day is not so cozy!

Well, she LOVED the idea! She's been going down, peacefully for naps. No more walking around the house for, what seemed like hours, with sweat dripping off my forehead! SHE DID IT!

Anyway, I say all this to say, if you are a Mom, and you are feeling unsure about any issue raising your baby / child, don't stress! Put your trust in God! He will lead you! He gave you your child because He knew that you were the absolute BEST choice for him / her!

Books are great! I've read many, and have learned so much! But don't put yourself into a box, where you feel that you have to follow everything from every book explicitly! Take little things you learn that you think will work well for you and your baby, and do those things! But don't burden yourself with every book & every opinion entirely, or you will feel very burdened down!

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight".

Well, back to the couch! I have been sick with a cold all week, and can't seem to shake it! But I felt strongly to write this post - I hope it will encourage you if you've been discouraged lately!

Enjoy being a Mom today! What a precious gift!

Michelle

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I'm a grown-up mom now (and am past the conundrums of the "first-baby" stage!), but your blog was so true! You were made for your baby and your baby was made for you, so God will help you through every confusing moment! THere will be many, but don't stress. Pray about each one and He'll give you the answers! Listen to your motherly instincts. Lisa Anne

Shaun and Michelle Slauenwhite said...

Thanks Lisa Anne! Appreciate the note!!

mel said...

awww michelle, been there girl! every baby is different, trust your heart, pray, god will show you! my sis's girl was a tummy sleeper from the day they brought her home from the hospital! she's a yr now and is a sleep champ! i swaddled nate until he was 10 months, he loved it! you are not alone! listen tolisa anne she is wise :)

Sheryl said...

Michelle, I am so proud of you! You are such an amazing Mama and Braeya is so blessed to have you to care for her! We have all gone through those days feeling totally inadequate and helpless, but it encourages my heart to know that you have learned the secret - as Papa would say - take it ALL to Him in prayer! Love you so much. He will never let you down - never ever! Grammy!